This is Judy. Judy is in her 60's, and lost over 30 pounds during her program with Infinity. This action shot was taken at one of our private facilities where we coach clients one on one, or in small groups.
The reason why we're highlighting Judy is because today's topic is on strength training for older women. Strength training is extremely beneficial for everyone, but particularly for women over the age of 35. We help clients of all ages and fitness levels, but especially females who have experienced additional challenges like childbirth, time constraints with their careers and kids, hormonal shifts, and perimenopausal or menopausal symptoms.
Lean muscle mass will deteriorate if it isn't being used, and that deterioration is predominate in women which can lead to many other health concerns. So ladies, this one's for you! Here is our list of reasons why you should be prioritizing your weight training workouts:
1. Osteoporosis affects mostly women - close to 80% of cases. When you strength train, it helps minimize this disease because it improves bone density and keeps you strong.
2. The natural aging process slows your metabolism down, so counteracting that by building more lean muscle tissue will help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. The more muscle we have, the higher our metabolism is.
3. Weight training sharpens your mind! Almost everyone experiences difficulty concentrating at some point, especially nowadays when distractions are everywhere. A good strength training session helps reset and refocus our brain.
4. Keeping your muscles strong reduces aches, pains, and chronic injuries. Feeling stiff and sore is uncomfortable, but can often be avoided by the right type of exercise.
5. Women are at a higher risk of depression, pregnancy issues, breast cancer, and autoimmune diseases. But weight lifting can decrease the risk of mental illness and other diseases, which can significantly improve your longevity and quality of life.
No matter what barrier you are faced with as a female in the world we live in, you can get through it. It may take effort and commitment, but it's entirely possible. And you are worth it, I promise! 🏋️♀️🙆♀️💪🤸♀️🏋️♀️